- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 pounds of red potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (the more cream the thicker the soup will be)
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 3 green onions (green part only/sliced thin)
In a large pot or Dutch oven add your bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel and leave bacon grease in the Dutch oven. Add your onions and cook until translucent.
Once onions are cooked, add your potatoes, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook till potatoes are fork tender (about 1-3 hours on medium high heat)
Mash potato mixture until smooth.
Mix together heavy cream and cornstarch. Add to Dutch oven and stir. Add in cheese, sour cream, bacon and chives and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with cheese, bacon and chives. Serve while hot. Enjoy!